Friday, July 1, 2011

My life in the Registrar's Office...

I work as the Administrative Assistant in the Registrar's Office at SUU and some days I never know what to expect when I get into work...I could be laughing or crying, get the best customers or get chewed out by a certain group I call the "missionary moms". So I try and keep everything light hearted, to do this about a year ago, I started a list of the funniest things that have happened to me in my office so when I get one of those hard customers, you know the ones that no matter what you do for them they will never be happy, I can remember that I do LOVE my job. I just wanted to share that list! And please note that these are all 100% true stories...I write them on my board right after they happened... :)

"I have Prairie Dogs on my property and I was told that someone at your institution would come and count them for me."

"My wisdom teeth need to be pulled...do you know a dentist at SUU that could do it for less money? No? What about a dental student?"

A student called in to my office to check on the registration status of their internet class. I asked if they had checked their schedule online...they informed me that " don't have access to the internet."

(15 minutes before 5 o'clock on the last day of the semester) "Can I get a 100% tuition refund if I withdraw from all my classes?"

"Is it your office I would speak to about my financial aid coming in or financial aid?"

A student called in to have an enrollment verification sent to her dad. I asked her what her father's name was and how it was spelled so I could attn it to him. She did not know how to spell her dad's name...It was Ernest and she was a sophomore in college.

A student called my office concerning ordering an official transcript: "Can't you just forge my signature? To heck with FERPA!"

Another staff memember told me that I had the perfect voice...and then asked me to do a favor for her. Her 4 year old daughter was having a birthday and more than anything she wanted to have Cinderella come to her party. Unfortunately they cost A LOT of money and she could not afford to have an actress come. So she asked that I call her daughter and act like I was Cinderella. Seriously the best 20 minutes ever!

Permission forms signed by the students...giving themselves permission to register.

Harry Potter envelopes...the top number of stamps so far on one envelope is 44.

A student came into my office to register for a class, but unfortunately did not have photo ID with him, but had it out in his car. He turned around and ran across the rotunda...and that is when we realized that he had a raccoon tail on flapping behind him!

"I was told this is where I can get a gym membership"

"I know my Tnumber is T something, something, something, something...."

A student called into my office: "I am coming to pick up my transcript and am standing in front of the admissions office in the student's center. Where can I locate your office?" My office is right next to the admissions office, sharing the same front counter.

A student came into our office and wanted me to certify that his transcript and diploma were official. What he wanted me to certify were photocopies of the documents from an institution ins Missouri.

"Good morning, SUU Registrar's Office this is Meaghan." "I'm locked out of my room."

I received an email from a students asking what my email address was.

After helping a student his response: "Oh! I love you! Can I send you flowers?"...The next day when he called in again: "I was the one who professed his love to you yesterday..."


2 comments:

BaconandBitch said...

Those are priceless! I love the one about asking for your e-mail!!! Ha! Ha!!

Beth said...

Why you are good at your job is that after everyone of these you calmly and patiently explained the problem or politely answered the question. After they left/hung up then you would have had a good laugh. I would have not been as nice.